Part 1: The Application Process for a Spanish Visa

The Application Process for Visa

The purpose of this blog post is to shine some light on getting everything together for the visa and my adventure to the Spanish Consulate in Houston, Texas.  I applied to be in North American Language and Culture Assistant Program in Spain for the 2014-2015 school year. I am a believer in sharing my knowledge and experiences with others. I hope someone will find this post helpful in getting a student visa for Spain. Best of Luck to future Auxiliares!  I promise you will make it through this process. If you want to contact me, email me at or tweet me @cw1363! I will be happy to help answer questions.

I got my placement letter from Spain on the 29th of April and waited nearly 2 months for my carta. There’s so much you can accomplish; before, Spain sends the carta to your e-mail inbox. I would advise you to get some of the required documents/paperwork out of the way. By getting some of the required documents/paperwork done early, you are creating less stress on yourself.

*****NOTICE: Because each embassy/consulate is different with their requirements, I would research what you need to do to have a correct visa application. Click on this: Spanish Embassies and Consulates in the U.S.*****

What You Will Need:

  • 1 passport ($165.00 check here for prices) that’s not expired and has pages that are blank. If you have either of these issues, please check with the US Department of State on what do with your expired passport or how to request new pages.
  • Bring 2 color copies of your passport and ID (great idea)
  • 2 passport pictures ($11.99)
  • 2 application forms and one photo copy (FREE)
  • 1 medical certificate and 2 copies ($35.00 & depends on copay)
  • 1 background check ($25.00) and apostille ($15.00)
  • $160 dollars or money order for payment of visa application
  • Driver’s License or ID (School ID or Voter’s Registration)
  •  2 School Placement Letter copies in color
  • 1 prepaid US Postal envelope ($5.60& optional) and depends on your consulate

TOTAL COST: $252.59

The total cost of the visa is the cost of my personal visa application. Please note that the price and requirements could vary on what embassy or consulate you go to.  Do your research before you apply for the visa.


The Start of the Rat Race to the Visa

Background Check and Apostille

If you have a passport, you are one step ahead of the game. If you don’t have a passport, I would apply for one ASAP.  If you are already have a passport, you can get your background check and apostille done. I live in Texas and was able to go to the website for the Texas Department of Public Safety (TXDPS).  After I went to the TXDPS site, I was lead to another site MorphoTrust USA’s website where I scheduled fingerprinting appointment for $25.77. My appointment was May 9th and a week later I received my state background check in the mail. (NOTE: the background check and apostille are only good for 90 days.)

Next,the background check will need to have a apostille done. The apostille is a  international notarized document. I live in Austin, Texas, the capital of Texas. All I had to do was to drive downtown, find parking spot, and just walk into the Secretary of State of Texas Office. It cost me $15.00 to have the apostille done. If you don’t live in Texas, I would find the current Facebook Auxiliares de Conversacion en España group page or Google your state’s Secretary of State Office for information on how to get the apostille done. After this part is done, there are a few more things that need to be done; before, you go to your regional embassy or consulate.

Passport Pictures

When you have some down time, I would go into a Walgreens or CVS to get your passport size photos done. It should cost you about $11.99 for the pictures. I would Google for a $2.00 off  coupon, so you save some $. Getting a visa is not cheap!  You will need two of the pictures for the visa application. WHATEVER you do DO NOT stamp the photos to your visa application. Leave them in your passport photo holder and see what the requirements are at the embassy/ consulate.

Medical Certificate

You will need to visit the doctor and ask them to write and sign off on a letter stating that you are mentally and physically in good standing for living and working aboard. You can visit the doctor for a yearly physical and get this done. Below is the template that the Spanish Embassy/Consulate will want for the medical certificate.

     This health certificate verifies that Mr./Ms. _____ is free of drug addiction, mental illness and does not suffer from any disease that could cause serious repercussions to public health according to the specifications of the international sanitary regulation of 2005.
These contagious diseases include, but are not limited to smallpox, poliomyelitis by wild poliovirus, the human influenza caused by a new subtype of virus and the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), cholera, pneumonic plague, yellow fever, viral hemorrhagic fevers (e.g.: Ebola, Lassa, Marburg), West Nile Virus and other illnesses of special importance nationally or regionally (e.g.: Dengue Fever, Rift Valley Fever and meningococcal disease.)
Mr./Ms. _____ is a very healthy individual in all senses, she/he has no pre-existing medical conditions, and she/he is capable of traveling abroad.


  1. Don’t have a  Nurse Practitioner make the medical certificate. You need a M.D. to create this letter. I did this the 1st time around and had to make another appointment to see a M.D. to redo my medical certificate.
  2. The letter is only good for 90 days, so make sure you get this done closer to June.
  3. The letter needs to be signed and dated by the doctor, have a letterhead, and the medical template above. However, I will note that some embassies/ consulates will require a Spanish translation. I would check with your embassy/consulate or the Facebook group page for the Auxiliares de Conversacion en España on the requirements.

The Carta de Nombramiento (The Golden Ticket to Spain)

I received my carta eight weeks and five days after receiving my regional placement in Madrid. The carta should be sent to your e-mail inbox. Once you receive your carta, print it out in color and make 2-3 copies. Your carta covers the requirements for “letter of acceptance,” “proof of health insurance,” and “proof of financial means.” This letter is very important to have with your visa application.

For this program a student visa is required. The Spanish Government classifies the program as “continuing education.” The application was not that hard to fill out. I have to give Trevor Huxham credit for his amazing blog post on applying for a student visa and process on getting to the consulate. Here’s the link for the application and instructions on how to fill out the form:

“Select “studies” for “20. Main purpose of the journey” and “More than two” for “22. Number of entries requested,” and put your school’s information in “23. Applicant’s address in Spain” and “28. Data of the educational establishment or research centre in case of applying for a student or research visa (Trevor Huxham).”


  1. You will need 2 copies for turning in. I would make an extra copy just in case. It never hurts to have more than 2-3 copies of something important.
  2. You can use either the Spanish or the English Version of the application.
  3. Make sure you follow ever step and proof check everything before you turn in your paperwork. Also, check with the consulate you will be going through on their requirements for the visa.

After you have successfully completed all the documents/ paperwork, you can now start looking into when you will go to turn in your application. Some embassies/ consulates require you to make an appointment and others will allow you to walk-in or send your application via mail.  I live in Texas. I will have to drive to the consulate in Houston and show up for a walk-in appointment. I will be posting a Part 2 to this post on my trip to Houston and my experience at the consulate. I am leaving July 17th, 2014 at 5:00 a.m. in the morning to go to Houston and turn in my visa.



2 thoughts on “Part 1: The Application Process for a Spanish Visa

  1. Hi! I am going to the Houston Consulate next week and I just had a question about some of the forms that need such as the proof of residency, did you just use your driver’s license?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s